Not Quite Zen

{But Working On It}

Just a modern day momma trying to find the balance between life's craziness and zen, with a little bit of fun along the way.

Finding What's Right For You

Remarkable. That's Me.

Many people look at me, I wonder what they see. Do they see a woman, a wife, Or a simple mother of three? A remarkable being, Is what I hope to be. I’m not built like a model, Or as tall as a tree. But I am as rare as a gem As sweet as a honey bee. I am a remarkable woman, My loved ones would agree. It’s the love that I give, The hugs they receive. The food that I cook. And the goals I help them achieve. I am classy, intelligent, Ambitious and sexy. I am charismatic, creative, Selfless, and sometimes cheeky. When people look at me, I already know what they see They see a remarkable woman, a dutiful wife, And a wonderful mother of three.



The Center of Your Own Universe

Monday, December 15, 2014

Weekend Recap

Hey guys. Another weekend has past and we are that much closer to little man's 1st birthday and the holidays.

This weekend I received some of my Oriental Trading purchases for little man's race car themed party. Everything seems to be coming along great. This week the focus is to get the house cleaned and the decorations up before Friday. That way I have time to adjust, if needed, since his party is on Saturday. I cannot wait.

Saturday I decided to make a nice diner for the family. My beautiful grandmother decided to spend some time with us, so you know I had to do something different. I know she loves lasagna (not to mention I have been craving it as well, so why not use her as an excuse. Shhhh), so I decided to do a little riff on a recipe that I saw on Skinny Taste. Gina is great. And her recipes are awesome and healthy.

So here is my version of Lasagna Rollatini:

 

It was delicious. I tweaked the normal lasagna recipe a little by making it with ground turkey instead of ground beef and added some spinach. Even my picky eaters wiped their plates clean. 

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before, but cooking is one of my passions. I really enjoy preparing food for family and friends. Just knowing that they are enjoying what I have created for them is so satisfying. When I am in the kitchen, I enter a stress free zone. I don't focus or think about anything else. All of my heart and attention goes into the dish I am making. My goal is to actually create a family cookbook for my girls and little man (I have to make sure he gets some of momma's home cooking when he leaves the nest). Now a'days it is so very rare that you see the new generation carry on the family traditions and recipes.  So being that our children are of Puerto Rican and Jamaican descent, I want to make sure they carry on some traditional dishes along with some not so traditional family favorites. So I try to document my meals as much as I can. You can see some of those pictures on my Instagram account.

Sunday we decided to take the kids to Disney World for a little fun day out. Let. Me. Tell. You. I know Disney is supposed to be the happiest place on earth. But seriously, everyone seemed to be on "Beast Mode". Getting into the park felt like we were being herded like cattle. There was pushing. There was shoving. I mean, people did not care that I had a stroller. They pushed. They hopped in front. They blocked my pathway to make way for their party. Even though I had the right of way. It was survival of the fittest. Which was totally unfair since I stand at a staggering 4'11". You can totally see over my head. So to be fair, they probably didn't even know I was standing there. Thank goodness for my 5'11" husband. He held it down for us. 

Bryce taking a selfie
Touching a canon ball from Pirate's of the Caribbean

Daddy was a Galactic Hero
My little Divas
Once we got in the park, it was smooth sailing. Even though it was extremely crowded (you can thank the holidays for that) we had a great time. The kids were happy. The hubby took some cute pictures. We got home at a reasonable time. All in all, it was a good day. What more can a girl ask for? Oh yeah, some quiet, alone time to finish off the day. Which is exactly what I was able to get. Everyone was so exhausted from their day out that they were all in bed by 9pm. Ahhhhh. This is exactly what I needed.  A great way to start the week. I am now ready to tackle the world.

Here are some great ways to start the week off stress free :

1.  Avoid the snooze button
Hitting the snooze button can actually make you more groggy in the morning. So get your butt up and attack the day already. You can't stay in bed forever.  So just deal with it.  And I say that with a smile.

Go on, get 'em!
Courtesy of NatureBox.com

2.  Breathe
I know, I know.  Here she goes with the breathing again. Seriously though, practice taking deep breathes throughout the day.  

3.  Unplug
Having all this technology around us makes it hard to unwind. If the thought of unplugging seems too extreme, then start with baby steps. Just put your phone on silent for 30 minutes. A little bit goes a long way.

 

4.  Clean is good
Try to eat as clean as possible. The less processed your foods are, the more energy you will have.

5.  Sweat it out
Try squeezing in a workout. Exercise release some feel good hormones, so this helps with stress relief. If you don't have time for a full workout, try to go for a short speed walk. Anything. Just get that heart pumping. 

So go ahead. Make this week your b****h!

Comments

No comments :

Post a Comment