Not Quite Zen

{But Working On It}

Just a modern day momma trying to find the balance between life's craziness and zen, with a little bit of fun along the way.

Finding What's Right For You

Remarkable. That's Me.

Many people look at me, I wonder what they see. Do they see a woman, a wife, Or a simple mother of three? A remarkable being, Is what I hope to be. I’m not built like a model, Or as tall as a tree. But I am as rare as a gem As sweet as a honey bee. I am a remarkable woman, My loved ones would agree. It’s the love that I give, The hugs they receive. The food that I cook. And the goals I help them achieve. I am classy, intelligent, Ambitious and sexy. I am charismatic, creative, Selfless, and sometimes cheeky. When people look at me, I already know what they see They see a remarkable woman, a dutiful wife, And a wonderful mother of three.



The Center of Your Own Universe

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Love The Skin You're In (Continued)

I told you before that I decided to go on this journey to really loving the skin I am in.  So let's start from the top.

One thing that bothered me in my photos was my hair.  I have curly hair. VERY curly hair.  And I am sure that most of you know that curly hair requires A LOT of attention. It tangles easily and can be very dry and unruly. Most people don't know this, but you really can't wash curly hair every day. Actually, it is best you wait a week in between washes.  I have battled my hair all my life.  I tried the whole straight thing.  It looks real nice, but, let's face it, all that heat really damages your hair.

Curly_hair_cartoon
Image courtesy of www.shinestruck.com/

In New York it wasn't so much trouble to maintain because of the cold weather. But out here in Florida, well, that is a whole other story. The humidity out here sucks.  Really bad.  And don't even get me started on the rainy season, which feels like it lasts about 8 months out the year. Throw in the chlorine from pools and water park, saltwater from the beach. Needless to say, Florida has not done any good for my hair.  But it is ok. I learned to manage it. Somewhat.  I basically rely on curly ponytails or buns.  Once in a blue my hair decides it wants to behave and I am able to wear it curly and loose.  If I straighten it, it will only last about a week, if I'm lucky.  But I know that heat styling makes matters worse, so I have really limited the times I do actually blow dry and flat iron my hair.

So with that said, I have really created a little regimen for me to follow whenever I wash my hair.  I wash with cool water and sulfate free shampoo.  From doing a lot of research on my hair type, I have learned that the chemicals in regular shampoo really strip your hair of it's natural oils.  So I have been doing the sulfate free thing for a while.  I did the "no-poo" (no shampoo) method for a bit, but for some reason I strayed away.  So I have to get back to that.  To me there is something absolutely beautiful about a woman with luscious, flowing locks.  Be it curly, straight or wavy.  So taking care of my hair is the first step to feeling beautiful again.



In doing research, I stumbled upon a youtube video by SunKissAlba . She has great tips on how to care for curly hair.  So I am going to try out her Holy Grail Hair Masque with an all natural ingredient list of:

1 Egg
1 Avocado
1 Banana
Honey
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil

Blend all ingredients until smooth and apply to dry hair from root to end. Leave in for about an hour then wash out completely with shampoo and conditioner.

All Natural Ingredients
This is what it looks like once it's all blended
All in from roots to ends
I added a shower cap for extra measure and penetration
All done
After leaving the masque in my hair for an hour, I washed it out with my sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.  I did notice my hair was super soft and looked fuller.  I finished up by applying my leave in conditioner and let my hair air dry.

This is what it looks like after it dried and I scrunched it up a bit.


Photo bombed by my 5yr old.
The verdict? I thought that SunKissAlba's Holy Grail Hair Masque was great. It is made up of all natural ingredients, easy to make (and tweak if you don't have all ingredients on hand), and has a ton of great nutrients for your hair.  For anyone who is looking to bring life back to their hair the natural way, this recipe is a keeper.

Here is a link to SunKissAlba youtube page:


SunKissAlba





Comments

No comments :

Post a Comment