Not Quite Zen

{But Working On It}

Just a modern day momma trying to find the balance between life's craziness and zen, with a little bit of fun along the way.

Finding What's Right For You

Remarkable. That's Me.

Many people look at me, I wonder what they see. Do they see a woman, a wife, Or a simple mother of three? A remarkable being, Is what I hope to be. I’m not built like a model, Or as tall as a tree. But I am as rare as a gem As sweet as a honey bee. I am a remarkable woman, My loved ones would agree. It’s the love that I give, The hugs they receive. The food that I cook. And the goals I help them achieve. I am classy, intelligent, Ambitious and sexy. I am charismatic, creative, Selfless, and sometimes cheeky. When people look at me, I already know what they see They see a remarkable woman, a dutiful wife, And a wonderful mother of three.



The Center of Your Own Universe

Monday, March 2, 2015

National Nutrition Month

Happy March everyone!

Ok, so I just realized that March is National Nutrition Month. As someone that has a goal of being healthier and on a continuous journey of Loving the Skin I Am In, I think this would be a great opportunity for me to get one step closer to finding my ZEN. This years theme for National Nutrition Month is "Bite Into A Healthy Lifestyle".  Now, if you know me, you also know that I absolutely LOVE to cook. I love to find different recipes to try out and creating different dishes with cultural influences. So this years theme is right up my alley.  I am going to do my best this month to provide you with different healthy recipes to help you "Bite Into A Healthy Lifestyle".


Image courtesy of eatright.org


Today I have for you a Greek Style Chicken Flat Bread Sandwich. This dish I created on my own and I hope you enjoy.

Ingredients:

4 Chicken Breast
4 Flat Bread Circles (I used Tofouyan Whole Wheat Flat Bread)
Greek Marinade (recipe below)
1/4 Red Onion
1/2 Cucumber
1/2 Tomato
Fresh Parsley
Hummus (Freshly made or store bought)

For the Marinade:

1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-3 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Oregano
Salt and Pepper
*Measurements are approximations. Adjust according to your taste*

Directions:

Combine all marinade ingredients and set to the side. Thoroughly clean chicken breast and place in plastic Ziploc bag or bowl. Pour marinade over chicken and place in fridge for 1-2 hours (this can also be done the night before). 

While chicken marinates, chop the red onion, cucumber and tomato into small cubes. Toss in freshly chopped parsley and mix. Add a splash of olive oil, lemon juice and a few dashes of Worcestershire Sauce and mix thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste. Place in the fridge so that the flavors meld. 

Take the chicken out the fridge and place in a baking dish with and bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours or until juices run clear. I like to add some of the marinade, especially crushed garlic, to the chicken as it bakes to add to the juiciness. Once chicken is cooked through, remove from oven and let stand for a moment then shred. If chicken appears too dry then add some of drippings from the baking dish. Take 4 pieces of flat bread and place in oven for a minute to warm through. Lay out 1 flat bread and spread about 1.5 tbsp of hummus on half of the bread.  Divide chicken into 4 portions and pile one portion onto spread hummus and top with chilled diced salad. Fold over other side of flat bread and enjoy. You can also add a tzatziki dipping sauce on the side.



The sandwich is pretty filling, so you may want to eat only half with a side Greek salad. Let me know what you think.


Comments

No comments :

Post a Comment